Skip to main content

Lichen

 I have been experimenting with the concept of using lichen covered stone.  It has been noted that lichen is a living thing and I've contemplated the problem with using it for my work for a while now.  This particular lichen is actually the very common Crabs Eye Lichen (Ochrolechia parella) It covers every piece of stone that exists in Caithness, there is as much of this lichen as heather on the hills or moss on the ground.  To protect the lichen from flaking off I have chosen to put a thin coating of resin over it and this has turned the white an interesting orangey yellow.

What is of importance to me is that I don't go removing vital stones from the walls that surround the fields.  These walls have been here for hundreds of years, and the more I look at them the more I marvel at the shear scale of man power that went into building them. Hard graft and skill.  The walls have survived hundreds of years of powerful storms and sadly many of them are slowly leaning and subsequently falling, leaving gaps which are then mended with wire fencing.


So what I would like to point out is the distance I travel on foot to find a piece of stone which is lying on the ground and not part of an important construction. My daily dog walk takes me to a number of my favourite spots where stones can be found, the quarry, the coastal paths and the beach, miles of walking and in the end, come home with a couple of pieces that fit in my pocket!   As for lichen, which I happen to find fascinating and incredibly beautiful, the small pieces that I do find are common, to me, it would be as wrong as digging a 6 inch piece of peat to take home for the fire.

I want to highlight the beauty of our county of Caithness and it's landscape and nature. It is often passed by on route to Orkney, and visitors who take the time to spend a bit of time learning about our history will find it to be a special place.

These pieces will be showing at Inverness Museum and Art Gallery in conjunction with Emergent Makers from the middle of May for one month.  I have some amazing pieces I'm excited to show and hope that they will be well received, and bought of course!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Special Wedding Jewellery

Are you looking for the perfect gift to give your fiance on your wedding day? Do you have a special place that means something to your both? Where you got engaged, your first holiday, your family's garden... I've been making jewellery incorporating customers stones for many year's now and it still feels special to me when I hand over a nicely polished pair of silver and stone cufflinks, or a pendant, ring or earrings.  It doesn't need to be a fabulous colourful pebble, I've made mudstone from the bottom of a loch look nice!   If you'd like me to make you a handcrafted, bespoke piece of jewellery for your wedding day, the process is very straight forward :- -      Send me an quick email to confirm details of what you want me to make, the date it's required by           and where to post it -      Post me your stone or pebble -      Payment will be requested once I've seen the stone and am confident it's possible to cut -      I'll send it back to
Looking out of my window is a treat every day. I never get tired of the changing colours of the sea. This photo was taken mid summer, in the evening and the bay looked like a mill pond. I try to enhance the different shades of grey with the different stones I find by using various polishing techniques and finish off rubbing the stone with olive oil. It's nice to add some essential oil to the mix for an added sensory experience.  Two pieces that recently sold, the necklace to a German tourist who was visiting Scotland by cruise ship. The other to a local lady with a love for Caithness.

Scratchart of 'Gutters at work, Wick'

This picture was created from a photo from The Johnston Collection in Wick. The famous photographer took many images over the years of various local people and scenes in Wick. I absolutely love the photos of female gutters at work. Just imagining the job they did cutting the salty herring in all weathers, I imagine they had to have a good sense of humour and good work ethics to put up with the discomfort. I find myself looking more to local history and wanting to develop a narrative in my work. It seems a good way to get value for money as a customer if you find and buy a picture that not only looks good but makes you think aswell.  Having something to go back to when you next look at the picture on your wall, giving you food for thought and an emotional connection, it makes you feel good about your purchase. It has been mentioned that my style of mark making is reminiscent of the old woodcut and illustrative work of the past. As I have said in past posts, my initial influence